Last night I used a few Tb of dill and it worked just great. I also upped the mustard and capers from the original recipe. Also, the original recipe only had lemon slices and tabasco for the condiments. I used some chimichurri and also some garlic aioli (not mixed together).
- 3# skinless, boneless, salmon
- 2 Tb Dijon Mustard
- 4 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 c. course bread crumbs, preferably from some stale or toasted bread
- 2 Tb capers
- 2 Tb chopped dill
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Butter & Olive Oil
- Cut the salmon into 1/2" chunks. Put 1/4 of the total into a food processor with the Dijon mustard. Process until pasty.
- Add the shallots and remaining salmon and pulse the machine for a while. Scrape down the salmon and pulse some more. The paste from step 1 should act as a binder for the salmon in step 2. The pulsing of the salmon should leave it around 1/4" or smaller. It should not be pasty at this point.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl and (by hand) mix the bread crumbs, capers, dill, salt and pepper. Shape into reasonable sized burgers. You should refrigerate the burgers at this point for 20 mins or so.
- Take a large skillet over medium high heat and put in 1-2 Tb of butter and olive oil. When the butter stops foaming put in some number salmon burgers so they don't crowd the pan too much. Any remaining salmon burgers should be left in the refrigerator while the others cook.
- Cook each burger for 3 minutes per side, turning once.
- If you have more burgers to cook, take the cooked burgers and put them on a foil lined sheet and put them in a low oven (not higher than 200F) while the others cook.
- Serve with some tasty sauce