So on the crazy diet, tamarind is acceptable. Oh, thank God for Tamarind.
Sweet and sour and plays well with garlic.
This recipe is pretty close to my last crazy diet survival recipe. It uses chicken, onions, some bok choy ('shanghai tips') and a butt-ton of garlic, but really the grand helper (other than garlic) is the tamarind. It has such a lovely duality to it which really helps the dish along.
Chicken, Bok Choy in Tamarind & Basil
- 12 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 3 Tb oil
- 1# ground chicken
- 1 sliced white onion
- 1# shanghai tip/baby bok choy - core removed so individual leaves can be mixed
- 1/2 c. chicken stock
- 4 Tb tamarind concentrate
- handful of Thai basil leaves (or Genovese)
- Heat wok to medium high heat. Put in oil until you can smell it. Put the garlic in and cook until it's slightly golden - perhaps 1 min.
- Add the chicken and onions. Stir and fry for several minutes until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the bok choy and stir for about 1 minute
- Add the chicken stock and the tamarind concentrate. Simmer bok choy until it's just wilting.
- Add the basil and stir fry until it wilts
- Serve! (with rice if you can eat rice)