No nightshades at all for 30 days. Nightshades are a cross-continent family of plants that includes pretty much most things you would want to eat that are plants. There are exceptions, but it generally means no tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, chili peppers, bell peppers, tomatillo, gooseberry, It also means a whole bunch of seeds are off-limits, such as cumin, coriander, curry powder, red pepper flakes, etc. Also nuts are out! No peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios, etc.
Wow. That pretty much kills everything except meat.
But you have to have something with your meat, right?
I found another simple Larb Gai recipe and modified it for this crazy diet. Works pretty well, even if you don't add sriracha (like I did for my portion).
Larb Gai Backup Plan
- 1# ground chicken
- 6 Tb non-sugar fish sauce (e.g.; Red Boat)
- 6 Tb fresh lime juice
- 1/2 c. chopped shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Tb chopped cilantro leaves (just no seeds)
- 2 Tb sliced scallions
- 10 basil and/or mint leaves, rolled & sliced
- Lettuce leaves
- Cucumber spears
- Rice (for the heathens - like me)
- Chili Sauce (um...also me)
- Heat a wok to a billion degrees or just very hot. Add 1/2 c. of water and the ground chicken, stirring constantly to break it up. Cook for about 2 minutes until pretty much done and then add to big bowl with slotted spoon.
- Add the rest of the non-garnish ingredients and mix well.
- Serve with garnishes and eat!