It's a classic Thai/Vietnamese style dish, full of flavor and easy to cook. You tend to cook it with ground or chopped relatively lean chicken, but you can also use pork, beef or turkey.
So easy and quick, too.
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 Tb coconut oil / peanut oil
- 1# ground meat (pork, chicken, beef, turkey)
- 1 Tb toasted rice powder (optional)
- 1 Tb chopped garlic
- 1 Tb minced ginger
- 1/4 c. fish sauce
- juice of a lime
- 3 scallions, sliced fine
- 1/4 c. chopped cilantro
- 1/4 c. chopped mint / basil
- 1/2 tart apple (e.g.; Granny Smith), diced in 1/4"
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- lettuce leaves for scooping up the mix
- Heat wok over medium heat. Cook the shallot for 3 minutes.
- Add the ground meat and stir fry until the pink is mostly gone / mostly cooked.
- Add the scallions, garlic & ginger, (and optional rice powder) and stir fry until the meat is cooked.
- Stir in fish sauce, lime juice, herbs and apple. Mix well and turn off heat.
- Serve with sliced cucumbers and lettuce leaves. Wrap up meat & cucumber in lettuce leaves and eat.