Perhaps in the post-apocalyptic world there will be problems finding means of cooking and I'll reconsider then, but for now, let's cook it.
Our friend, Sally, brought up a fine cauliflower tot recipe she found on Food 52 and uses when she wants tater tots, but wants to feel slightly better about them.
These are pretty good and they do have cheese, which is just fine. I think the Food 52 recipe includes bread crumbs, but we bag on those for now. Cheese will work just fine to boost the flavor. I also tend to use dried herbs in the mixture because I can. I love fresh herbs, but they're not fully coming up yet so I'll work with the dried for now.
Crispy Cauliflower Tots
- 1 # cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/3 c. grated Parmesan
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 Tb fresh herbs (1 Tb dried herbs)
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush with olive oil.
- Steam the cauliflower until tender. Cool to room temperature.
- Place cauliflower in clean dishtowel, roll up, and wring to extract as much moisture from the cauliflower a you can.
- Transfer cauliflower to large bowl and break florets apart. Add Parmesan, egg, herbs, garlic powder and pepper, and mix until well-combined.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop mixture onto baking sheet. Brush tots with olive oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Take out and turn them over. Brush with olive oil. Bake another 15 minutes.
- Serve warm