Today it is raining, but I have some smoked salmon and sour cream and dill on hand. I also have some potatoes, rutabegas and beets available. Time for latkes.
- 1# root vegetables, predominantly potato
- ½ c. thinly sliced or minced onion
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- butter / oil for pan frying: 2-4 Tb per batch
1. Finely grate the root vegetables – food processor disc works great. Place grated root vegetable in water and keep there for 1-2 minutes after all grating is done.
2. Spread root vegetables on kitchen towel and roll up like jelly roll – pressing to get as much moisture out of the root vegetables as necessary. Note, when I use beets, I use paper towels because of the heavy dye attribute of beets.
3. Put more dry root vegetable with onion in large bowl. Add salt & egg and mix well
4. Heat frying pan over medium high heat. Add oil. Add ¼ c. of mixture to pan and flatten. Add a couple more in pan so that they are not touching but still can be fried. Note, when I use a 1/4 c. container to grab mixture, I like to press some moisture out of it into the sink or other container to reduce the moisture.5. Cook 3 minutes and flip. Cook 4 minutes more. Transfer to paper towel on plate. You could keep them in oven at 200F if needed while you finish the rest of the latkes